Thursday 26 April 2012


The Cry of the Dreamer

by John Boyle O'Reilly


I am tired of planning and toiling

In the crowded hives of men;
Heart-weary of building and spoiling,
And spoiling and building again.
And I long for the dear old river,
Where I dreamed my youth away; 
For a dreamer lives for ever, 
And a toiler dies in a day.


I am sick of the showy seeming 

Of a life that is half a lie; 
Of the faces lined with scheming 
In the throng that hurries by. 
From the sleepless thoughts endeavour 
I would go where the children play; 
For a dreamer lives forever 
And a thinker dies in a day.


I can feel no pride but pity 

For the burdens the rich endure;
There is nothing sweet in the city 
But the patient lives of the poor. 
Oh, the little hands too skilful 
And the child-mind chocked with weeds!
The daughter's heart grown wilful, 
And the father's heart that bleeds!


No, no! from the streat's rude bustle, 

From trophies of mart and stage, 
I would fly to the woods' low rustle 
And the meadows' kindly page. 
Let me dream as of old by the river, 
And be loved by the dream away; 
For the dreamer lives for ever, 
And a toiler dies in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment